We’re going to be using a tool called nitrous.io to set up a web development environment. Nitrous.IO is a fully fledged web development environment that is accessible inside a web browser. This is the real thing, and will let you build your own web applications (it’s not an interactive tutorial – it’s a fully powerful coding environment).
Do the following steps
- Go to nitrous.io
- Enter your email, a password and a username and press the button to “Sign up for Free”
- Check your email, and click the link to confirm your account
- Click the “Open Dashboard” button
- On the page that comes up
- Leave Ruby/Rails selected
- Select the Region of “US East”
- Press the orange “Create Box” button
- Press the orange next button
- Scroll down and press the “Ok, take me to my box!” button
And boomshakalaka! You’ll be setup and ready to rock! That was easy!
You’ll notice that there are two different panes on the screen. You have a text editor at the top, where you can open up files and change the text. At the bottom there is a little window that has the dollar sign and will allow you to send commands through the terminal. When you see that you’re supposed to run a command in the terminal, you’ll want to run it in that bottom window.